Monday, September 17, 2007

I left out one of the best parts!

In the post I put up the other day about the "Women's Studies" (and I use the term loosely) professor from Duke, I neglected to comment about the best part.

Did you catch this sentence?

. . . Complexifying this equation to include race meant identifying ourselves as white oppressors; it meant, therefore that our politics were now less absolute, we ourselves less pure. (emphasis added)

How like a college professor! The verb to denote the coining of a word is to neologize. I believe the origin is Greek - "neo" meaning new, and "logos" meaning word.

Now, Dr. Rudy has a Ph.D., but the fact that she won't say the field in which she was awarded her Ph.D. makes me think it is likely in the spurious field in which she teaches. So I guess it should not be much of a surprise that she choose to use a neologism -

INSTEAD OF THE PERFECTLY GOOD WORD "Complicating"!!

No comments: