Sunday, October 22, 2006

Fatuous Argument Against the War in Iraq

I just caught the last minute of Andy Rooney's schtick on "60 Minutes". (I know - that was my first mistake.) Rooney was whining about Iraq. I'm not going to go on at length about Iraq. You've already made up your own mind about the war and don't need me to tell you what to think.

I happen to think we have nothing to apologize for deposing a murderous dictator who was going to install his equally murderous sons after he died. I do acknowledge that mistakes have been made in Iraq. That is why strategies are reviewed and revised.

Instead, I'd like to comment on a tired argument that critics of the war keep repeating. Namely, that the "world" doesn't support us.

Excuse me, but isn't this the opposite of the argument you used to get from your parents that "If so-and-so jumped off a bridge, would you?" I mean, by definition each country has its own interests and while some overlap or coincide, many do not. It's easy for a France or a Germany to urge inaction. They aren't seen as representing an entire culture and political philosophy ("the West" and "democracy", respectively) and hence aren't the lightning rods and targets for the malcontents of the world.

A mugger may not support my decision to not walk down a dark alley where he lies in wait. Does that make it wrong?

No comments: