Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Deconstructing crap

I came across this article on Yahoo! about a couple of highly-touted books that were recently exposed as fakes.

What prompted me to post was this quote from one of the authors who has been exposed as a fabricator (fabricatrix?), "It is not my true story but it is my reality, my way of surviving" (emphasis added).

This kind of psychobabble makes me a bit crazy. I got a news for you, crazy Belgian lady: there is no "my" reality, no "your" reality, no "his" reality. There is only REALITY. Punto. End of story. This is deconstructionist crap worthy of Jacques Derrida. (Figures a Frenchman would concoct this pablum!)

At the risk of sounding sexist, it's usually women one hears talking like this. And it's just plain silly. And we should all do our part to discourage it.

No comments: