Thursday, May 01, 2008

Time to take action

Today I wrote my Senators as well as President Bush regarding the case of Army Sgt. Evan Vela Carnahan. Below is the text of the email I sent to the White House. I urge everyone to do the same.

Dear Mr. President,

I recently learned of the case of Army Sgt. Evan Vela Carnahan. From my research on the internet, it appears that Sgt. Vela Carnahan was part of a five-man sniper team operating in dangerous territory in the Iskandariyah area of Iraq. A military-age Iraqi male and his son stumbled upon the team’s hide. They were detained and restrained. When it seemed that the senior Al-Janabi was trying to give away the team’s position, Sgt. Vela Carnahan’s commanding NCO, Staff Sgt. Hensley, ordered all of the team but Sgt. Vela Carnahan out of the hide. He then ordered Sgt. Vela Carnahan to kill Al-Janabi.

While SSgt. Hensley was acquitted of murder charges, Sgt. Vela Carnahan was convicted and sentenced to ten years in prison.

Mr. President, it seems inconceivable that, while his commanding NCO was acquitted of the same charge, Sgt. Vela Carnahan was convicted. I implore you to use the power of the presidential pardon in the case of Sgt. Vela Carnahan.

Sincerely,

Alain DeWitt
Arlington, VA

No comments: