Thursday, February 21, 2008

I think I see the problem...

My cousin, Jonathan Birge, posted a comment on this article from the UK's The Times Online. The subject of the article is the modern, single, British woman's difficulty in finding a mate.

Reading the article, I was struck overwhelmingly by one thing: the tone. The tone of the article is amazingly condescending and contemptuous of men. Is it any wonder that none of the men in Ms. Nolan's life are tripping over themselves to meet her at the altar?

I am 40 years old and not married. The main reason I think I am not married is that it's been a long time since I've had a girlfriend that truly understood that an adult relationship is a partnership. Too many women think - and too many man accept - that getting married means getting to boss their husbands around. I'm sorry but I am not accepting applications for that position. I am capable, educated and resourceful. I don't need anyone managing the small details of my life. Thanks.

If I were to get married, it would almost certainly not be to an American or Western woman. As evidenced in this article, their expectations are wholly unrealistic.

For a tongue-in-cheek look at the high cost of marriage, check out http://www.nomarriage.com/.

No comments: