Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Oscar Picks Revisited

Okay, so the new century's worst - so far - and most boring - so far - Oscars are over. How did I do in my picks for the top six awards?

Surprisingly well - four out of six. I missed Tilda Swinton for Best Supporting Actress and Marion Cotillard for Best Actress (although Cotillard was my dark horse). I will say that these Oscars were pretty easy to pick. It was a foregone conclusion that Javier Bardem would win Best Supporting Actor and that "No Country for Old Men" would win Best Picture. That's a third of my work done for me right there. Also, Daniel Day-Lewis was a pretty safe bet for Best Actor, so that's half my work done.

The big surprise of the show was "The Bourne Ultimatum". It was the second-biggest winner of the night, winning three. I'm glad the awards it won were more of the technical variety. I saw this movie in the theater and I thought it sucked big time. It was a clone of the second movie and we didn't learn very much more about Jason Bourne.

I will say that I think it's a shame that the Academy has such a short memory. I still think they could have bumped Tom Wilkinson for Mark Ruffalo from "Zodiac" for Best Supporting Actor. I think "Zodiac" was a hugely overlooked movie of 2007.

Likewise I thought "Gone, Baby. Gone" deserved much more than the one nomination it garnered. I could easily seen it getting nominations for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Director for first-timer Ben Affleck. Think that thought is laughable? Watch "Juno" and while you're watching it recall that the director, lead actress, the writer and indeed the film itself were all deemed by the academy to be among the year's best.

1 comment:

Jonathan B. said...

The Bourne Ultimatum has the honor of being the first movie that's ever made me motion sick. I've flown 4G aerobatic maneuvers in a small plane, but that goddam movie's handheld frenetic camera work made me so sick, that by the end of the movie i had to close my eyes to keep from puking.

It didn't help that i was in the third row, but seriously, that movie was all heat and no light.