Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thank goodness it's not just me

Thanks for Chuck Muth's News & Views for this quote from former Reagan speechwriter and sydnicated columnist Peggy Noonan. I read this and am comforted that I am not the only one who thinks Obama is a walking collection of platitudes.

Barack Obama's biggest draw is not his eloquence. When you watch an Obama speech, you lean forward and listen and think, That's good. He's compelling, I like the way he speaks. And afterward all the commentators call him 'impossibly eloquent' and say 'he gave me thrills and chills.' But, in fact, when you go on the Internet and get a transcript of the speech and print it out and read it--that is, when you remove Mr. Obama from the words and take them on their own--you see the speech wasn't all that interesting, and was in fact high-class boilerplate.

- Columnist Peggy Noonan

No comments: